What To Do If You Fall On Ice

Published on January 3rd, 2023

Falls During Inclement Weather: What to Do if it Happens to You

A slip and fall injury due to inclement weather is a common occurrence in Illinois during the winter. If you are a victim of a slip-and-fall accident, you may be wondering what you need to do next.

The Block, Klukas, Manzella & Shell law firm is home to experienced and highly-skilled slip-and-fall attorneys in Joliet prepared to walk you through the entire process. In this blog, we’ll provide tips on what to do after you injure yourself after falling on ice or other inclement weather.

young woman has an accident on a icy way with black ice

Seek Medical Attention

If you get injured due to falling on ice or wet conditions, your main priority should be to receive medical services to attend to your injuries. Document your injuries and keep any medical bills and other documents.

Identify Witnesses

We understand the embarrassment surrounding a slip and fall in a public setting. However, if you are injured and believe you have a personal injury case, you may need witnesses to prove your case. We recommend getting the names and contact information of the people who saw you fall.

Report the Incident

Find the building manager or property owner and alert them to the situation. Give them the details of what happened to make sure you document the dangerous conditions.

Take Plenty of Photos

With the possibility of the snow and ice melting quickly after the incident, we recommend taking pictures and recording videos of the entire scene. In personal injury law, documentation of the scene right after it happened is extremely important.

Preserve Evidence

It may not seem like much, but make sure you keep the shoes and clothing you were wearing as they could serve as evidence. We also recommend taking pictures and videos of any damage to your clothing and injuries, as that may also be considered evidence. 

If other items played a factor in your fall, document them and preserve them for later usage.

Get Legal Representation from Personal Injury Attorney

If you experienced injuries due to someone else’s negligence, you might be eligible to file a personal injury claim to recover lost wages and for pain and suffering. Contact the highly-experienced personal injury lawyers in Joliet, Illinois–Block, Klukas, Manzella & Shell. 

Schedule a free consultation with one of our slip-and-fall lawyers. From premises liability cases to wrongful death situations, we work aggressively to get you the maximum compensation you deserve.

Back to News